Friday, October 3, 2014

Bananas and Rubbers

As a Form III Biology teacher, I have the pleasure of teaching my students about the exciting of topic of Reproduction.  I have been covering the topic for several months now (it’s a long topic!) and I decided the best way to wrap it up was to literally wrap it up.

I was lucky enough to get into contact with PSI and they were kind enough to donate just under 1000 condoms for the event.  I went to town and purchased an entire branch of plantains (about 70) and we were set.

I began by reviewing the various contraceptive methods and then explained to my girls that condoms were the best option before marriage and monogamy because they are the only way to prevent STD’s and HIV.


I proceeded to explain my actions during the condom demonstration. The students had the floor to ask questions, and then they gave it a try. They were in pairs sharing one plantain and each had their own  condom. They each got a chance to try and then showed me when they were done before their partner could try. 

Holdin up the tree products

Yes, it's a two person job

Madam, why is it covered in mafuta?
They actually had a blast! They were laughing and asking questions and didn’t seem to be uncomfortable.
Demonstrating

Now we are really learning about reproduction

Tunaweza!
 My hope by doing this was to help break down the negative stigma associated with purchasing and using condoms in this country. Tanzanians tend to avoid purchasing condoms due to the negative stereotypes placed on them by other community members. They think that if you are purchasing condoms then you are taking part in poor behavior and will negatively judge you. The fact is, over 60% of people in the village of Wangama have HIV and this negative stigma isn’t helping the problem.
If I can convince just one student that they have the ability to avoid HIV and STD’s by taking control in a relationship and standing up for themselves, then my two years here will be completely worth it.  

Group photo! Just one of my 3 classes of Form III

No comments:

Post a Comment