Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Yates' Take On Tanzania

I am sorry it has been so long since my last post. Like normal, like has been kinda crazy... but in a good way!

I am one very lucky girl. I have been away from home now for a year and to mark this momentous occasion, my family traveled to the other side of the world to see what life over here is like (and to give them some peace of mind that I’m safe.) 

One of the goals of the Peace Corps is to share knowledge and experiences of your host country with Americans, and what better way to do this than to show them first hand.

My Mom, Dad, and Grandma Torch left my cousin’s wedding around midnight to drive several hours to and airport and then journeyed almost 30 hours to get here. They arrived in the middle of the night and after a night of half-assed sleep, we started our trip (and my couple weeks of living the safi life!) My school finished up the first term, so I had about a month off, perfect time for family vacation.

Our trip consisted of 3 major destinations: Dar es Salaam, the Serengeti, and Zanzibar.

In Dar, we mostly just walked around, because let’s face it, Dar is just a big city like anywhere else in the world. But what was amazing is that my family pointed out things to be that I realized I had become accustomed to and have accepted as normal, when only a year ago, I was entranced and intreagued by the bajaji’s, people carrying everything on their heads, the dress and the language; It was all so new and so interesting once upon a time. 

Grandma, Mom and I taking a break from the heat and trying some Tanzanian soda

Drinking coconut water in the streets of Dar
 (Please ignore the very, very wrong date on the picture)


We then took a plane to start our adventure in the Serengeti and went on a 4 day, 3 night safari. We went out looking for animals in the mornings and evenings, because it was too hot in the middle of the day and the animals were hiding out in the shade.   

When we arrived, we helped our guide, Joseph, and our cook, Zacharia, set up our tents and got settled in. There were wildebeests all around us, less than 20 yards from the edge of the camp. And I will say that we were never hungry the entire time we were on Safari. We were fed in the Tanzanian fashion with not only 3 large meals, but also chai mid-morning. And the food was good! They catered a lot to the types of food westerners enjoy. Just don’t ask yourself how you are having chicken on the 3rd night when they have no refrigeration…

We spent 2 nights in the Serengeti, and then for the final night made our way to Ngorongoro Crater, the largest caldera in the world. I have to say, camping on the edge of that crater gives Njombe a run for its money as the coldest place in Tanzania. Inside the crater are some animals you cannot see in the Serengeti, including rhinos and flamingos.  It was kind of rainy and wet, but we didn't let it dampen our spirits.
Our permit only allows 6 hours in the crater, so after we left, we slowly made our way back to civilization, but along the way stopped by Oldupi Gorge (oldupi is the kimasaai world for sisal- a large crop in Tanzania used to make rope). This gorge is famous because it’s where several remains and skeleton’s  belonging to the same species as Homo Erectus, Lucy, and the Nutcracker Man. The gorge is an evolutionary goldmine!
As we completed our journey, Joseph asked if we wanted to get some souveniers, so we stopped in a shop called Shanga Shangaa which translates to surprising glass beads. This store employs 55 people with various disabilities who make crafts out of recycled materials, including glass, aluminum, fabric, etc. It was so inspiring to watch these people work and make beautiful pieces of art from materials that usually litter the streets of Tanzania.

 I don’t know if I ever thanked my parents enough, but it was the experience of a lifetime that I never could have done without them (I’m a volunteer, remember?)

Here are just a few family pictures we took while on the trip. 

The whole gang, including Joseph and Zacharia

Outlook on top of Ngorongoro Crater

Entering the Serengeti

Idaho gals love dead things
And here are some of my favorite pics we got in the park

just a couple of giraffes

Baboon

Lizard basking in the sun

Vulture

A Zebra and his buddy

Water Buffalo and friends

Sleepy Lioness


Mama and baby Elephants

Sleepy Lion

We found Pumba


Hippo

Jackel

Gotta love a good butt shot

This little guy loved having his picture taken!
After our safari, we made our way to Zanzibar for some rest and relaxation. We can’t forget that this is vacation and rest and relaxation are mandatory.

We spent a day wandering around Stonetown and sightseeing, since Zanzibar has a rich, but sad history associated with the slave trade.

 The next day was R&R day, spent snorkeling, and then relaxing by the pool and getting a little tan since I live in the Arctic Tundra of Africa aka Njombe, TZ. 

Nipe tano! (Give me Five!)
View from our hotel room 

Fresh Leeche

Some beautiful flowers on Zanzibar
The next day, we walked on the beach and took an afternoon ferry back to Dar es Salaam where we walked around a bit more and ate some Indian street food. The next day, we woke up and had a great continental breakfast that included daal of all things… and then proceeded to check out of our rooms. But since they were flying out in the middle of the night, they didn’t book a room, so we spent the next 14 hours homeless, wandering the streets of Dar es Salaam. But time with family precious, so we made the most of it. We walked aimlessly for a bit and stopped for beers every couple of hours to sit and cool off.  We finally stopped at one of the bars PCV’s visit regularly, when I realized that my family was going to board the plane in a few hours without trying the staple food of TZ. Of course I couldn’t let them escape without trying that most delectable of all Tanzanian Cuisine: Ugali. And the weirdo’s actually didn’t mind it!

We spent the rest of our time together drinking beer until they headed to the airport.
Saying goodbye to them again was just as hard as it was the first time I left.

12 months down, 15 to go. I’ll be home before you know it mom.

Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures, it looks like you work for national geographic ha ha. I love reading about your adventures, this is definitely my favorite blog. Keep them updates rollin :). I miss you and can't wait to see you whether it be here, there, or anywhere. You rock! :)

    ReplyDelete